While our Raleigh winters are usually very mild, we still use our HVAC units for several weeks over the winter season and no one likes to pay more than they should for utilities.
Annual HVAC Maintenance can save big on your utility bills. To that aim, here are a few tips to keep your heating bill at a minimum:
Keep your heating equipment operating efficiently.
- Keep your Heating unit well tuned. The Fall is the perfect time to have your furnace or heat pump checked thoroughly by an HVAC technician. This Fall HVAC Maintenance check will go a long way to make sure your unit is operating at its optimal level and prevent unnecessarily high heat bills.
- Clean or replace the filter in your forced air heating system each month
- Check the duct work that is readily accessible for air leaks about once a year.
Limit Heat Loss:
- Be sure that heating ducts in unheated areas are insulated.
- Insulate your attic floor or top floor ceiling.
- Consider installing storm windows and doors.
- If you have an attached garage, keep your garage door closed. This will prevent outside air and cold winds from infiltrating the connecting door and other areas between the house and garage.
- Seal all air leaks in the attic, basement and crawlspace and also around windows and doors for better energy recovery.
- Weather strip doors that lead to the outside
- Use kitchen, bath, and other ventilating fans sparingly.
- If you have a working fireplace, keep fireplace dampers tightly closed until you prepare to light a fire. When using your fireplace, limit the amount of heated air drawn from the rest of the house. Open dampers in the bottom of the firebox if provided, or open the closest window about 1 inch and close any doors leading into the room.
- Avoid heating unused areas by closing off unoccupied rooms and shutting off heating vents UNLESS you have a heat pump system as shutting vents could harm a heat pump.
Install a programmable thermostat and set it to match your schedule so that you can keep the house cooler when you are away and bring the temperature back up when you’re home. We have a wide variety of the latest technologically advanced thermostats available for installation should your current thermostat not be programmable.
For more tips on keeping your HVAC unit running at its optimal level or to schedule your Fall HVAC Maintenance Check, call Cool Change Heating & Air at 919-457-2494 today! We serve the greater Raleigh NC area, including Wake Forest, Rolesville, Cary, Apex and even Durham, and we offer Emergency AC Repair service all over the Triangle as well.