It’s not too early to get your AC ready for summer!
Raleigh summers are notoriously hot and humid. Here are a few tips to keep your Air Conditioning unit running more efficiently all summer long.
You’ll save money on that ever increasing electric bill and extend the life of your AC unit.
Check Your Air Conditioning Unit Regularly
- Check your AC unit once a month
- Replace your air filter/s at least four times a year (more if needed)
- Look around for any leaks in the air ducts. Older duct work can have loose ducts with small gaps and tiny air leaks
- Consider insulating your home’s air ducts which will help with heating and cooling
Keep The Area Around Your AC Unit Clear
- Keep the area around the condenser clear of grass, bushes, leaves and just about everything else so that the fan gets the maximum amount of air that it can.
- A good rule of thumb is to make sure there is nothing blocking the vents or around the unit for one or two feet in every direction.
- Be careful to make sure that cut grass isn’t blowing into the unit each time you mow your lawn.
Keep Your Condenser Cool
- The U.S. Department of Energy recommends shading your central AC unit so that it doesn’t have to work as hard to cool the coils inside it.
- Most AC units sit in the hot sun for about half the day until the sun moves over the home, so during half the day your AC is working hard just to keep itself cool, not to mention your home.
- Planting a shade tree near (but not too near) the unit is a great idea.
- According to the U.S. Department of Energy this one action could save you up to 10% on your cooling bill!
Keep The Temperature Consistent
- Don’t turn your AC unit on and off because that can burn out the interior switches and sometimes even mess up your thermostat.
- Set your thermostat temperature and letting the air conditioning catch up and do its job without your interference.
- Use an programmable thermostat which you can program to change the temperature to be a little warmer in your house when you’re typically away during the day.
- Keep your central air conditioner fan on AUTO and not ON all the time.
Keep Your AC Charged and Serviced
- Consider having a full service on your AC unit every year. You’ll most definitely make up the money in energy savings and peace of mind during those hot summer days.
- Have an HVAC professional come in and look things over, especially if you suspect any problems. Consider having a full service on your AC unit every year. You’ll most definitely make up the money in energy savings and peace of mind during those hot summer days.
- A professional AC technician can also tell you if you the refrigerant should be recharged or if anything may need replacing sooner than you think.
Yes, our Raleigh summers can be hot, but these air conditioning tips will save some money this season by and help your AC unit last longer!
Want More Air Conditioning Tips? Have Questions about Your HVAC System?
If you have any questions about your HVAC system or HVAC Maintenance, please contact Cool Change Heating and Air Conditioning by calling or texting 9919-457-2494 or send us your HVAC questions here! We’re your trusted source for All of Your Heating and Air Conditioning Needs in Raleigh, NC and surrounding cities.